Pages

Monday 23 September 2013

Nails & Manicures

It's me.. I'm back with a post today ;)

I apologise for how long it's been since my last post but I won't offer any excuses...you've heard it all already huhu. I should have blogged about it but I guess I was preoccupied with other, more distressing, thoughts (meetings minutes work and more meetings. ..help!)

Anyhow, my topic of the day is *drumroll please* MANICURES.

Note: this is pre-manicure photo ;)
I am so obsessed about smooth shiny nails. These days, they're all that occupy my brain...lol. Ok, I exaggerate but it's true - when my nails aren't shiny, I'll be thinking about how to make it shiny.. and if I see someone with shiny nails, I will wonder when or if she had a manicure >.<

I've never been enthusiastic about manicures. I mean, before I experienced it, I thought it would be fun to get your hands and nails pampered and cared for properly. During my first manicure earlier this year, I wasn't convinced it wasn't a waste of good money - all she did was remove my ruby red polish, file my nails, soak it in some salt bath thingy, and then start buffing. The end. *not such a happy bunny* 

However...

After a week of looking at my sparkly shiny nails (let's not forget how much I love sparkly shiny stuff), I got a bit addicted to the point where I was extremely worried when my nail file slipped as I was reshaping my nails *gasps in horror*. 

I was rather impressed by how long the shine lasted after that first visit.. probably close to a month. Even after I applied a new coat of polish... and removed it, the shine was still there...faint, but still noticeable.  

That was it, a turning point in my life. The moment when I started thinking maybe manicures aren't a total waste of money after all. *nail parlours everywhere - ka-ching!*

So.. let's talk manicure.

I don't know all the technicalities of a manicure but I'll update this post if I find out later on. Basically....

"A manicure is a luxurious beauty treatment for the fingernails and hands that results in clean, soft and perfectly-polished nails. Both men and women get manicure treatments in salons and spas – not simply to keep their hands looking their best, but as a fun and inexpensive way to pamper themselves.
If you’ve never had a professional manicure before, here’s what you can expect:

First, a bit of maintenance work.

The first part of your manicure will involve cleaning, cutting and shaping your nails. Old nail polish will be removed, your nails will be cut and shaped and the surface of your nails will be smoothed out with a buffer. Your cuticles will also get a little TLC…first by softening them with a bit of cuticle oil and then by pushing them back with an orangewood stick. Depending on the type of manicure you’re getting, you may also be treated to a hand and arm massage or a moisturizing paraffin treatment."  [quoted from http://jolieacademy.com/what-is-a-manicure]


I have to say that almost everything shown in the video below (up to the point where polish is applied - I've never gotten a polish) was done by my manicurist, even at different nail parlours (ok, so I admit I've only had 3 manicures in my twenty-something years on earth.. and twice at the same place.. BUT I have been observing them ;). 

I'm gonna say that this is a very good guide for anyone who wants to know what basic manicures are all about. It's gonna be a bit tricky to do this all by yourself at home. Tricky, but not impossible, depending on how dedicated you are or how limited your budget is.




Personally, I think I'd only clip my nails.. probably file them if I can get a good emery board.. but there's no way I'm gonna soften and push back my cuticles on a weekly basis. N'uh... not happening baby. If I want the works, I'll pay some RM30 for it and relax while someone else does all the hard work *evil laugh*.

Buffing... now that, is a different story.

I just got my nails buffed recently and I wasn't as satisfied with it. After just 6 days, the shine was significantly diminished. From my past experience, I expected it to last for at least 2-3 weeks. Hey, it's not like I do laundry, and tonnes of dishes on a daily basis so manicures are supposed to last.

I decided to take matters into my own hands - I took the box thing and gave my nails a quick touch up. It shines like a diamond now, and I am a happy bunny.. with shiny nails :P

So, I would recommend you get a basic manicure at the parlour, and buff your own nails. It will save you a lot, and your shine will be as good as the effort you put in. I mean, you can watch your fave drama while buffing your nails... it's such good time management :D

Here's how the Nail Parlour do their buffing... (if I remember correctly).

First off, you're gonna need these things:


After you've done your basic manicure either at home or at the parlour, make sure your hands are clean and dry before you begin. Basically, you'll be buffing your nails with a gentle, side to side motion using the nail buffer block. Go from using the buffer with the roughest grit, to the finest/smoothest. Don't buff it too much with the rough buffer or you'll weaken your nails.


Or rather,

Step 1: Grey
Step 2: Green

Step 3: Pause. Put a teeny tiny bit of the pink buffing cream. A little goes a long way. Swipe it in a few times. You should start seeing the shine round about now

Step 4: White. Buff til you're satisfied with the shine.





In case you want to see how it's done, this video might help.



Apparently, you should buff your nails only once a month to prevent from thinning and weakening your nails. And before I forget, let me mention that some people have a natural shine to their nails. Sometimes, it's due to a person's diet - I observed that my nails had a healthy sheen to it while I was taking milk thistle supplements (liver detox and all that).

So there you have it. With this post, I hope I won't forget the steps to do my own manicure and buffing..and I hope it helps you too :D 

Love,

nad xoxo~

p/s - I should get paid for advertising lol. 
        Oh, and pedicures are a must! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment