Pages

Thursday 13 September 2012

Watching "The Watch" 2012...a lil movie review


Yesterday my sister and I decided we were going to have some down time.. you know, just chillin' together watching a funny movie which doesn't require much brainpower.


On a bit of an impulse, we hit GSC MidValley and caught the 7.30pm screening of The Watch staring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill to name a few. My sis asked me to look at the trailer before we left the house and I reluctantly agreed to check it out. I'm not much of a movie person, give me a kdrama or a kung fu drama  any day ;) So, here's what i found...



Looked pretty stupid but kinda funny. If my sis wants to watch it coz Ben Stiller is there, I'm cool with that....


After sitting in the theatre for nearly 2 hours, I can safely give it

     a) 2 thumbs up for absolutely NIL brainpower required
     b) thumbs down as far as plot..and everything else was concerned.


We did have some laughs but it was not what I expected at all. In fact, I'm still surprised that they aired that in Malaysian cinemas! I'm so glad we didn't make it a "family movie night" show coz I have a feeling my dad might walk out of the theatre.. -_-"



Spoiler Alert!!



This movie is supposed to be a comedy about a group of guys in the newly formed Neighbourhood Watch. They're supposed to be helping the cops solve a murder but the cops don't take them seriously, the residents think they're a joke, and 3 out of 4 members of the Watch were there for the wrong reasons. Oh yeah, and the culprits were aliens preparing for Earth invasion. What the??



First off, there were a lot of distasteful jokes, some veering on the vulgar side and some parts of the movie simply plain disgusting. I mean, seriously, the alien only dies if you attack it in it's male private parts because that's where it's brain is situated? *rolls eyes*



There was a lot of swearing too... which I don't mind but I kept worrying that someone else might get offended. A lil heads up on that would have been nice, perhaps instead of just "for 18 years and above", they should have added something along the lines of "Curse words and dirty jokes ahead. Do not watch if you are easily offended".



If I had to liken it to another movie, I'd say think of American Pie.. only worse, huhu...



It's slightly disappointing because they had a great cast, and the effects were pretty decent too (I keep thinking about the scene where Evan and Jamarcus were very steadily and coolly shooting at all the hundreds of aliens attacking them, taking out new guns to replace those which ran out of bullets.. zwooossshhh... they looked great there!).



I quite agree with the Guardian's review

"You can source the finest ingredients. You can spend a fortune on top-notch pots. But if the chef's inept, or your timing is off, or you're just not cooking with gas, even the best recipe can turn sour. Such is the case with this ensemble comedy about a small-town Ohio neighbourhood watch team who find themselves battling hostile aliens. It's got a cast to kill for, a Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg script (they wrote Superbad) and a promisingly Ghostbusters-ish premise. And yet it's catastrophic. In fact, it's actively upsetting...."  
My suggestion? Save yourselves $10 and watch a different movie... unless you like brainless dirty comedy that is ;)


nad xoxo~

No comments:

Post a Comment