Pages

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Bibimbap & kimchi soup @ The Street Cafe, Sunway Pyramid

Last Saturday, my friends and I were on a mission (well, to be honest, they were on a mission for shoes and bags... i already completed my mission a few days before...but, that's besides the point :P). We scoured Sunway Pyramid from top to toe looking for Yana's new pair of sandals. I've come to the conclusion that if it's not "your" season to buy shoes (or bags), it's really NOT your season - you just can't seem to find the right one to fit your style or feet. Take it from me, I usually buy bags at every opportunity, but I hadn't bought one in almost 3 years! Record breaking, I tell you.

Anyway, I'll tell you more our shopping expedition in another post (yes, I did buy...but in my defense, they were really really good buys!). Right now, I'm just gonna tell you about lunch ;)

On the top-most floor of Sunway Pyramid, opposite Aeon, you'll find the Asian Market. I think this is the first time I've really paid attention to that place, but I love it! More on that later, moving on. Deep inside the Asian Market, you'll find a number of food shops, kinda like a food court but hidden behind the numerous small shops selling clothes, bags, etc. The Street Cafe was our destination.

Having had a craving for kimchi soup ever since Gan let me try the one in Amcorp Mall (which was superb, btw), naturally I ordered the bbq chicken bibimbap + kimchi soup set for about RM22-something. Yana ordered a bbq beef bibimbap with additional kimchi soup, while Syaz decided on a chicken lunch box. There were so many choices, we spent many minutes trying to decide what to order, haha. 

Oh, and Korean tea for me :)

Mine: BBQ Chicken Bibimbap, kimchi soup, and some side dishes :D 
If I'm not mistaken, this shop has been mentioned in several media i.e. newspapers and food programs.. it's certified Halal and claims not to use any MSG (yay for me!).

The food was pretty good. I'm not much of a food reviewer, actually this would be my first attempt haha. Let's start with the bbq chicken bibimbap.

BBQ Chicken Bibimbap

They say a picture paints a thousand words so I'll let it do the talking. Yup, that's exactly what i got ;) It tasted good, especially if you like that sweet-ish honey sauce. I'm not such a big fan of that but having it with the kimchi totally worked for me. The kimchi was ooohhh so sour and spicy, it was perfect! hehe..

Kimchi soup...with tuna :)

Next, we have the kimchi soup. From our amateurish point of view, there are 2 types of kimchi soup in this world - ones which taste like assam pedas, or the ones that taste like tom yam. Personally, I like the tom yam kind coz that's how I roll, but Yana likes the assam pedas so I guess it all comes down to what suits your palate. This kimchi soup is of the assam pedas family, has tuna in it, and be sure to stir it properly before you eat otherwise it'll seem rather thin when in truth, all the good stuff which make the soup thicker is at the bottom. It's spicy, and because the bowl retains heat, your soup is hot for a long time. Yummy! 

My side dishes included kimchi, a bit of coleslaw thingy (i'm sure there's a korean name for it which i don't know, huhu), and some chicken sausages. It all fit in well with the dish, and I rather like the sausages, more than I did the bbq chicken (probably due to the fact that I don't really go for sweet sauces).

To be totally honest, I think the BBQ Beef Bibimbap which Yana had was more tasty compared to mine. 

BBQ Beef Bibimbap

It's almost identical to mine, except for the beef bits. The honey sauce suited the beef more than it did the chicken. Oh, and because her's was not a meal set, it came with some miso-like soup. Again, I have no idea what it's real name is but nevermind. 


And this was Syaz's order: Chicken Lunchbox. I think I might try this next time. See, I have intentions of going there again, lol.

Chicken Lunch Box

Mmm...looks good eh? Oh dear, I still see that sweet-sauce-covered-chicken pieces but I suppose a bite of kimchi makes the sweet sauce go down, sweet sauce go down, the sweet sauce go down... *to the tune of Just a Spoonful of Sugar from Mary Poppins* ;) 

Still, I think my fave Korean food shop thus far is still the one in Amcorp Mall. The kimchi soup is to die for! Not to mention that it's the tom yam type....ooohh heaven on Earth ;)

Til next time, 
xoxo~


No comments:

Post a Comment